Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Organic Mom


Spring is here, and that means clean eating is in order because bathing suit season is only a month away! Get ready to spruce up your kitchen with some fresh fruits & veggies! I've got some healthy & delicious recipes to help you along the way!


Eating healthy coupled with the beautiful weather here in RVA, staying active is a must! I've been going on daily walks with my daughter around our entire neighborhood which is 2.7 miles total walking distance. When my husband gets home from work we bike around the neighborhood and a little extra down the street. It's a great way to catch up after a long day of work & enjoy the outdoors together! He likes to pull Reagan behind him, because he claims to be a better biker than me ;)


After our biking routine, I whip together a protein & veggie dinner. Definitely not as fun cooking healthy, but I can't tell you how great I've felt these past few days that I have. Last night we had Turkey Taco Salads. They were so delicious!! I have a new obsession with ground turkey, I like it even better than ground beef and its so much healthier!


Taco Salad with Turkey

Ingredients:
Mixed lettuce, 2 cups
Ground turkey, 1 lb.
Taco Seasoning packet
Colby & Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Taco Sauce, 1 tbsp
Greek Yogurt, 1 tbsp

Directions: In large frying pan, heat ground turkey on med-high heat until done. Drain. Return turkey to pan and add taco seasoning + water. On bed of mixed lettuce, place turkey, cheese, taco sauce, and greek yogurt. **Add tomatoes, guacamole, or onion if you desire**

You are what you eat! Ever since Reagan was born, I've become rather fanatic about the quality of foods I cook and keep at home. Once she started eating solid foods, our pediatrician told us the importance of giving her Organic food. She recommended that we watch a couple of documentaries on Netflix (Food Matters & Hungry for Change) and I'm telling you they changed me!


Prior to our pediatrician telling us about the importance of organic food, I had already anticipated starting Reagan an all organic diet. These two documentaries really solidified all the questions I had about organic food and why it was so important. I'll spare you all the detail (so you can watch for yourself), but like our pediatrician asked, "Would you want your daughter running in a freshly sprayed field of pesticides?" I answered, "Of course not!" She said, "Then why would you want her eating & ingesting fruits and vegetables that were sprayed by those chemicals?" We were in total agreement. I went to Whole Foods that day and stocked up! Ever since then everything I cook is organic. So I always say, eat organic whenever possible!


 photo sig_zps3a7c6a66.png

No comments:

Post a Comment