Wednesday, April 23, 2014

DIY: How to build a Terrarium


Terrariums have been quite the craze lately. Although they were popular decades ago they have surely made a comeback! I've always thought they were so pretty and love the way they add life to your home. What better way to honor Earth Day than to make a beautiful live terrarium?! I have to admit, I don't have a green thumb and I always forget to water my plants! The beauty of terrariums is that they require minimum amounts of water :)

Here's what you need:


First you will need to select a container. It can be an open air container or something bottle-like to create a closed environment terrarium. Either way, I like to use glass to see the entire terrarium. I chose to do a succulent & cactus terrarium, so you will need cactus potting soil. Pebbles, sand or rocks, activated charcoal and sphagnum moss. 


1. A layer of course sand, pebbles, or stones (like I used above)
2. Activated charcoal (thin layer)
3. Add a layer of sphagnum moss
4. Add soil. If using cactus, get cactus potting soil which can be mixed with regular potting soil. 
6. Add plants or seeds. Be creative, switch them around until it looks like the perfect little paradise!


Terrariums are so fun to make and they are the perfect gift for just about anyone! It's also a great activity to do with kids or even your mom ;) Have a great Wednesday! 


 photo sig_zps3a7c6a66.png

No comments:

Post a Comment